Keeping our dogs safe is top of the list as pet parents. Wireless dog fences help to establish a safe zone where your dog can roam freely. Whether you live near a busy road and are looking for a way to safely contain your dog, or have a large farm and don’t want your dogs wandering onto neighboring properties, a wireless fence could be the perfect solution.
We reviewed dozens of wireless dog fences to identify the best of the best. Features we considered included whether systems were customized in-ground or portable wireless, as this affects the ease of installation and boundary zone shape. We also looked at if systems catered to multiple dogs or are built specifically to meet the needs of a certain type of dog.Top pick
PetSafe Wireless Fence Pet Containment Systems
This fence provides the safest and simplest way to keep your dog within a set boundary
After reviewing many different wireless dog fences, we found the PetSafe Wireless Fence Pet Containment System to be a clear winner. This wireless dog fence uses a portable transmitter to define a boundary of up to 180 feet in diameter. Installation is quick and easy, with boundary flags included to help train your dog to learn where their containment area ends. Excellent online support and resources from PetSafe, as well as a huge amount of positive feedback from Amazon users helped to secure this system top position.
The 5 Top-Rated Wireless Dog Fences
|Top Pick||PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System||3.9|
|Runner Up||PetSafe Stay + Play Wireless Fence||3.6|
|Budget Pick||Hidden Dog Fence by Sit Boo-Boo||3.7|
|Best Underground Dog Fence||Extreme Dog Fence Second Generation||4.5|
|Best Dog Fence for Large Areas||Extreme Dog Fence Extended Area Coverage||4.5|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: PetSafe Wireless Fence Pet Containment Systems
The PetSafe Wireless Fence Pet Containment System uses a centrally located transmitter to define a safe boundary around your house. Instead of using boundary wires which need burying or securing into place, this system uses radio frequency to define an adjustable boundary of up to 90 feet from your property. Using the receiver collar, train your dog to respond to the static correction or tone emitted by the collar when they stray too close to the boundary.
This system has an easy set-up and you can fully install the PetSafe Wireless Fence Pet Containment System in less than two hours. This system is also fully portable, meaning if you are travelling with your pet you can easily create a safe zone for your dog. The included flags can be used to initially provide a visual reference of the boundary for your dog, before being removed once training is complete. With over 3,000 reviews on Amazon, this wireless fence is a great option.
PetSafe Wireless Fence Pet Containment System Key Features:
- Suitable for multiple dogs – simply purchase additional transmitter collars
- Collar emits warning tone as dog approaches boundary zone
- Low battery indicator
- Training manual included to help accustom your dog to the system
Our Runner Up Pick: PetSafe Stay + Play Wireless Fence
Runner Up Pick
PetSafe Stay + Play Wireless Fence
With quick and easy installation, this system provides a portable way to contain your dog$249.95
The PetSafe Stay + Play Wireless Fence comes in as a close second. With many of the same features as our Top Pick, this system allows you to create an adjustable boundary of between 22 and 105 feet from the transmitter. The waterproof collar emits a warning tone as your dog approaches the boundary, before delivering static correction. The static correction is adjustable to 5 different levels, depending on your dog’s sensitivity and size.
This portable system is easily transferred as you move home, or even take your dog on holiday. Providing you have access to a power outlet, you can use the PetSafe Stay + Play wherever you like. The collar battery can be fully charged within 3 hours and lasts up to 3 weeks on a single charge. If you have more than one dog, simply purchase additional transmitter collars.
PetSafe Stay + Play Wireless Fence Key Features:
- Adjustable boundary up to 105 feet from the transmitter
- For dogs 5 pounds and up
- Includes training manual
- Collar emits warning tone and 5 levels of static correction
Best Budget Pick: Sit Boo-Boo Hidden Dog Fence
Sit Boo-Boo Hidden Dog Fence
At just over $100, this system by Sit Boo-Boo is an affordable hidden boundary fence$149.95
The Hidden Dog Fence by Sit Boo-Boo offers a wide range of features for just over $100. Unlike our top two picks, this fence uses an insulated copper wire to create your boundary. You have the option of fixing this to an existing boundary such as a fence, securing to the ground using staples, or burying underground. This system also comes with boundary flags for use while you train your dog.
The Sit Boo-Boo Hidden Dog Fence can be used to create multiple zones, section off areas such as flower beds, or create a zone with one open side – perfect for waterfront properties! The wall-mounted transmitter is small and easy to place within your home. By purchasing additional wire you can create a boundary of up to 5 acres in size from one transmitter. The transmitter collars are available for purchase separately should you have more than one dog.
Sit Boo-Boo Hidden Dog Fence Key Features:
- 955 feet of wire can create a boundary of up to 1.2 acres in size
- Additional transmitter collars available
- 5 levels of correction
- Lifetime replacement warranty
Best Underground Dog Fence: Extreme Dog Fence Second Generation
Best Underground Dog Fence
Extreme Dog Fence Second Generation
Packed full of features, the Extreme Dog Fence is the best underground fence we found$299.95
The Extreme Dog Fence Second Generation is the best underground dog fence we can find. This kit uses 20 gauge high tensile boundary wire with heavy insulation to protect from all weather conditions. The 500 feet of wire is enough to create a boundary of up to half an acre.
The transmitter collar included with this kit is one if the lightest available. At only 1.1 oz in weight, your dog will feel comfortable enough to wear it all day. As an added bonus, if you’ve created a boundary around a large area with a lake, or waterfront property, the collar is both waterproof and submersible.
Extreme Dog Fence Second Generation Key Features:
- 1 year warranty on electronics and 2 year warranty on wires
- Made in the US
- Includes training flags and wire splicing kit
- 8 correction levels including tone only
Best Dog Fence for Large Areas: Extreme Dog Fence Extended Area Coverage
Best Dog Fence For Large Areas
Extreme Dog Fence Extended Area Coverage
The Extreme Dog Fence Extended Area Coverage can help you create a boundary across an incredible 25 acres of land$389.95
The Extreme Dog Fence Extended Area Coverage provides the perfect solution if you need to create a boundary across a large area of land. Systems that use a transmitter to create a boundary simply won’t work in this situation, but through using 2500 feet of wire, the Extreme Dog Fence Extended Area Coverage means you can still safely contain your dog.
This system also allows you to change the frequency of the boundary, in order to prevent interference with neighboring systems. The width of the boundary zone buffer is also adjustable, with settings anywhere from a few inches to 32 feet. This means if you want to warn your dog well before they approach the actual boundary wire, you can increase the buffer zone to suit your needs. If you have multiple dogs, this system can support an unlimited number simply by purchasing additional collars.
Extreme Dog Fence Extended Area Coverage Key Features:
- Remains stable in all weather conditions
- Transmission collar with 8 settings including tone only
- Digital setting for precision
- 2 sets of contacts for collar included
Who Should Buy a Wireless Dog Fence?
Basically, any dog owner who wants to define a set area for their dog to use safely, will find a wireless dog fence incredibly useful. If you have a large yet unfenced yard near a busy road and worry about your dog straying too far from home, a wireless dog fence will be much cheaper than using dog-proof fencing to surround your entire property. Wireless fences can be extremely quick and easy to set up, meaning you can have your boundary established within hours.
Depending on which sort of system you choose, many wireless dog fences are also portable. This means if you take your dog on holiday in your RV, for example, you can take your system along with you and set it up at your camping ground.
Important Features to Consider
A wireless dog fence should do several things well. Make sure you consider your individual needs before deciding which type of wireless dog fence to purchase. Here’s what to look for when selecting a wireless dog fence to best suit you:
- Customized in-ground (hybrid) dog fence. Customized in-ground systems, also known as hybrid systems, use a wire which is buried underground to create the boundary. Advantages include you can define a tailored boundary to suit almost any property. This includes being able to allow access to waterfront zones, restrict access to vegetable patches, and more. Disadvantages are that they are more costly and time-consuming to install. Once they’re in place, you’ll need to dig up the wires if you want to adjust the boundary or move it somewhere else.
- Portable wireless dog fence. Portable wireless systems use a centrally placed transmitter to define a set area. Advantages include that they are very quick and easy to set up – you can usually be up and running within hours. They are also portable so if you go on vacation, simply take it with you. The boundary zone will usually be circular and can be adjusted to suit the size of your property. Disadvantages include that you cannot customize the boundary to any other shape. The boundary zone can also fluctuate. These systems are also affected by large metal objects and sloping yards.
- Number of transmitter collars. If you have multiple dogs, check that the system you’re interested in can support this. Many systems have additional transmission collars available for purchase separately, so you can simply buy an additional collar as and when needed. Other systems allow you to specify how many collars are required when you purchase the system.
- Area coverage. The size and shape of the area you want to create your boundary around is an important consideration. Portable wireless systems create a circular boundary, the size of which can be adjusted. You can’t change the shape of this boundary, or exclude certain areas. Customized in-ground systems are more flexible and tend to allow coverage of larger areas, with sections zoned off if necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a wireless dog fence and how does it work?
Wireless dog fences are a way to contain your dog within a certain area, without having to spend time and money installing expensive traditional fencing. For many dog owners, they are the perfect solution.
Wireless dog fences work in two different ways, depending on which sort of system you’ve selected. Customized in–ground (hybrid) fences work by using a boundary wire to determine your containment area. When your dog gets too close to the wire, the transmission collar will warn your dog to move away.
Portable wireless dog fences use a central transmitter to provide a containment area. Once your dog moves a certain distance away from the transmitter, the tone or static correction will warn your dog away from the boundary.
How deep do you bury a dog fence?
Hybrid fences use insulated wire to create the boundary of your fence. Once you’ve laid the wire out on the ground to form the desired shape for your boundary, the wire is then buried to create a secure perimeter.
Most manufacturers will specify a depth to bury the wire of their particular system – but this is usually somewhere between 1 to 3 feet deep.
How much does it cost to install an electric dog fence?
Once you’ve bought your electric dog fence system, installation costs will depend on a few factors. If you’ve bought a hybrid system, you’ll need to either install it yourself or pay a contractor to bury the wires to the specified depth. Depending on the size of your property, this can be a reasonably big job.
If you’ve bought a wireless portable dog fence, there are no installation costs – simply plug it in, set the size of the boundary and start training your dog!
How do you train a dog with an invisible fence?
First of all, make sure your dog has good recall and understands basic commands such as sit and stay. PetSafe provides a great video on how to get started with training. They suggest keeping sessions short, around 10 – 15 minutes long. With consistency, patience and rewards most dogs can be trained within 2 weeks. Here’s a rough guide for days 1 through 8.
- Once you’ve established your boundary zone, place the training flags at 10 feet intervals along the boundary
- Set the transmission collar to tone only and carefully fit to your dog. You want your dog to associate the tone with the reaching the edge of the boundary, indicated by the flags
- On the leash (attached to a separate collar), take your dog to the boundary, allow them to hear the tone
- Move away from the boundary and praise or treat your dog
- Repeat using at least three boundary flags
- You should find your dog starts to resist going near the flags
Day 2 – 4
- Start using the transmission collar adjusted to the lowest level of static correction. Keep your dog on the leash with a separate collar
- Upon nearing the boundary, allow your dog to feel the correction
- Move away from the boundary and praise or treat your dog
- Adjust the level of static correction depending on the sensitivity and size of your dog
- Your dog should start resisting going towards the boundary
Days 4 – 8
- Keep your dog on the leash
- Start to test your dog using toys and treats placed outside the boundary zone
- On day 8, remove the leash, but do not test using toys. Watch how your dog reacts to the boundary as indicated by the flags.
After two weeks, most dogs have learned to stay within the containment area. You can now remove every other boundary flag. After three weeks, remove all flags. Remember to remove the transmission collar daily to prevent sores from forming, and use the contacts best suited to your dog’s coat type.
Other Wireless Dog Fences We Reviewed
PetSafe Wireless Fence Pet Containment Systems
This fence provides the safest and simplest way to keep your dog within a set boundary
We looked at 20 other wireless dog fences. Even though they didn’t make our 5 best wireless dog fences, they’re the best of the rest and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
Underground Dog Fences
This fence is the only in-ground hybrid system that allows you to adjust the correction distance and warning distance independently of each other.
- Transmission collar with 8 levels of static correction
- Two types of contact points for collar
- Fully waterproof collars
This system uses proprietary technology to automatically adjust the correction that your dog receives, based on their distance from the boundary zone. The back-up battery keeps the fence running in case of power outages.
- 500 feet of boundary wire
- Progressive warning tone fr easy training
- Ultra slim, waterproof collar
This customized in-ground fence contains 500 feet of wire which allows you to create a containment zone of up to 1/3 of an acre. The transmission collar batteries last up to a month, with an indicator showing when they’re running low.
- Use in-ground wires to create keep out areas
- Integrated surge protector
- US based customer care
This system comes with 500 feet of solid copper wire to create your boundary zone. 50 training flags are included, as well as a 7 day training course.
- Collar has 10-second safety shutoff to stop over correction
- 1 year warranty
- Rechargeable collar batteries
The transmission collar on this in-ground system warns your dog with a tone and vibration as they approach the boundary, before using one of 4 levels of static correction.
- Contains 1000 feet of wire to cover up to 1 1/3 acres
- Purchase additional collars to cover more dogs
- Waterproof transmission collar with
Dog Fences for Large Areas
Most systems designed to cover large areas require in-ground wires to create the boundary, but the FunAce 100% wireless system can cover an impressive 17 acres (500 feet in all directions from the transmitter).
- Rechargeable transmission collars
- Extremely easy to use
- Anti over-shock design to ensure safe use
The Power Boost feature of this system by High Tech Pet allows you to cover up to 30 acres when you purchase additional wire.
- Illuminated status panel for easy monitoring of system
- Includes pro-trainer remote control to train your dog using sound
- Adjusts static correction depending on distance from fence
This system comes with 492 feet of boundary wire, but by purchasing more you can cover an area of up to 10 acres.
- Transmission collar also features anti-bark setting
- Remote control included for manual training and correction
- Collar fits dogs from 11 – 154 pounds
This fence uses 3000 feet of boundary wire to allow a containment area to be created up to 10 acres in size. The collars are designed for large dogs over 50 pounds so this system is great for working dogs.
- Especially suited to guardian or sport breeds of dogs
- 5 levels of static correction set to each collar individually
- US based customer support
This in-ground system by SportDOG can cover up to an impressive 100 acres using a professional grade 14 gauge wire. Includes warning sign perfect for professional use.
- Anti-linger feature prevents dog from running down the battery
- Additional collars available to cover multiple dogs
- 5 levels of static correction, plus tone and vibration
Fences for Multiple Dogs
This system by Dr. Tiger comes complete with 2 transmission collars. By purchasing additional collars you can cover an unlimited number of dogs.
- Includes 328 feet of wire
- Audible and visual wire break indicator
- Collar fits dogs from 10 – 120 pounds
If you have a large number of dogs, the Extreme Dog Fence 5 Dog System includes 5 transmission collars and 1000 feet of boundary wire. More wire and collars can be purchased to suit your needs.
- Includes 5 transmission collars
- Made in the US
- Collars are waterproof and submersible
This battery powered underground system comes complete with two transmission collars and 1000 feet of boundary wire. This system is also battery operated so if you live off-grid or are worried about power outages it’s a good option.
- in-built filter to avoid interference from other electronics
- Includes 2 types of collar contacts
- 30 day money back guarantee, 1 year manufacturer warranty
This multiple dog system uses the same technology as our Top Pick to protect an unlimited number of dogs simply by purchasing more collars. The portable system is easily transportable should you travel with your dogs.
- Requires virtually no installation
- Transmission collars can be set to individual levels
- Includes test light tool to check boundary
If you have 2 dogs which you want to contain within a set boundary as well as train using transmission collars, the SportDOG Contain + Train In-Ground Fence 2 Dog System is a good option.
- Suitable for medium sized dogs upwards
- Transmitter alarm to alert you to boundary issues
- Remote control included for training using the transmission collar
If you’re looking for a truly portable, wireless and GPS based pet containment system, then the Dog Expedition TC1 Border Patrol is what you need. Perfect for use camping, hiking and at home
- 800 yard range
- Features remote trainer capabilities
- Consists of transmission collar and GPS handheld unit
If you’re looking for a way to contain your dog, control their barking and keep an eye on their activity levels while you’re away, this system does all that and more. The barking correction has 3 modes: no barking, moderate barking and off.
- Includes on-collar devices for 2 dogs
- Allows containment area of up to 2 acres
- Works with the free Garmin CANINE app to help monitor your dog’s activity
If you have a small dog, you might be concerned that both the size and level of static correction may be too much for them. This system is specifically designed for small dogs weighing 5 pounds or more.
- Lightweight receiver collar
- 4 levels of static correction plus tone only
- Possible to create additional boundaries
If your dog is hard to train, hearing impaired, or just plain stubborn, this is the fence for you. The transmission collar includes a vibration warning as well as tone and static correction.
- Highest intensity static correction available
- Vibration warning is ideal for hearing-impaired dogs
- Purchase more collars for additional dogs
This system is perfect for owners of working dogs who want to create a containment area but also use a remote training. This kit comes with a remote control which can be used to manually deliver static correction to your dog’s transmission collar.
- Potential to train 3 dogs using the same remote control
- 7 levels of static correction, plus vibration and tone
- Includes 1000 feet of wire and 100 boundary flags